Who to Notify When You are MovingWhile moving from one place to another can be stressful, you don’t want to forget to notify when moving the proper entities as part of your moving to-do list.

We created this checklist to help the transition go smoothly, so you don’t have to worry about remembering who you need to contact.

The Post Office – Notify When Moving

One of the first places to notify when moving should be the Post Office. You don’t have to go in person or even call. You can submit your change of address online. If you do it online, you must pay $1.05 and provide a valid email address, so have your debit or credit card handy.

Going in person to change your address is free. Just ask for a Mover’s Guide packet and fill out the enclosed PS Form 3575. Hand it to a postal worker or drop it in the mail slot inside the post office.

Motor Vehicles

In Maryland, it’s the DMV or, more commonly, the MVA. It doesn’t matter what you call it; you have to notify Motor Vehicles of your move. If you’re staying in Maryland, you can submit the change of address online and most likely won’t need to do anything else.

If you’re moving states, it’s a good idea to check out their website to see what the process is to switch your registration and driver’s license over. Some states have tight deadlines once you start the process, so make sure you know the process and if you need to get the car inspected before you start.

Your Employer

Your boss probably knows you’re moving, but HR might not. You want to make sure your tax forms, retirement accounts, and other documents are sent to your new address. Don’t forget to change your bank account info if needed, too.


Depending on where you’re moving, you might not be able to use the same utility company you currently do. You’ll want to notify your current utility company and research who your new one will be and what the process is for switching over.

Don’t forget the:

  • Water department
  • Sewer company
  • trash/recycle company
  • Gas/electric if they are separate
  • Home security
  • Cable and internet

Financial Institutions

Most financial institutions allow you to change your address online with little fuss. However, you might have to supply proof of your new address in the form of a mailed bill or updated driver’s license.

Even if you’re a strictly online user, these institutions must have your correct address on file. Don’t forget about:

  • Credit cards
  • Banks
  • Credit unions
  • Loan providers
  • Investment accounts
  • PayPal

Insurance Providers and Doctors Offices

If you’re moving out of the area, your insurance premiums could change. Contact your health, car, home, life, and any other providers to let them know you’re moving. You don’t want a claim denied because you didn’t notify them.

Don’t forget about your doctors and dentist, too.

Internal Revenue Service

You can notify the IRS online, over the phone, or in-person about your move. It can take up to six weeks for the change to go through, so be mindful of this if it’s around tax time or you’re waiting on a refund.

Social Security Administration

Though you may not get paper statements, the SSA still needs your up-to-date address. You can call or fill out a change of address form online.

Voter Registration

If you’re registered to vote, you want to make sure your new area has you counted. Some states, like Maryland, notify the local board of elections. Check with Motor Vehicles to find out if you should.

Other Providers

These might not all apply to you, but here are some other providers you may need to contact if you’re moving:

  • Apps on your phone
  • Subscription services
  • TSA Precheck/Global Entry
  • Shopping websites
  • Newspaper or magazine subscriptions
  • Clubs and organizations
  • Friends and family

Make Moving Easier

With all the things you have to do to move, let us take the most challenging part off your hands! At Freedom Moving in Pasadena, Maryland, we can help you pack and move you from one place to the next.

Contact us today to get a free estimate on moving services.